Renee Buchanan: Honoree for NJSIAA’s Scholar Athlete Program

Renee 2Hawthorne High School senior, Renee Buchanan, is this year’s HHS honoree for the 20th annual Scholar Athlete Award Program. Buchanan received the award and was honored on Sunday, May 19, 2013, at Pines Manor in Edison.

Buchanan, who plays both varsity softball and volleyball, said that she found out a few months ago about her nomination. “I was happy because I knew it definitely was a great accomplishment.” Buchanan was right; receiving the Scholar Athlete Award is a great accomplishment.

The award is presented by the New Jersey State Interscholastic Athletic Association (NJSIAA). According to the website, NJSIAA.org, the NJSIAA is a voluntary non-profit organization made up of 433 credited public, private, and parochial high schools in the state. Only one student athlete is chosen from each high school to receive the award. The qualifications for the award, in which Buchanan met and exceeded, were to possess a cumulative grade point average of no less than 3.0, participate in an NJSIAA sponsored varsity sport, and exhibit outstanding school behavior and citizenship. Buchanan was also in the running for a chance to win one of many scholarships being offered that night, which total $100,000. Out of the 1,400 people who attended, there were 350 student athletes’ names that were entered into drawings to win a scholarship. Some scholarships were available only to students attending schools in specific counties or participating in certain sports, but most were offered statewide.  There was a limit of one scholarship per student athlete. Buchanan was eligible for the state-wide scholarships and those specific to volleyball. Buchanan’s name was drawn, and she received a $500 scholarship from The Star Ledger.

Buchanan stated, “It was a very nice, organized event that was put together so that a lot of people were recognized for their accomplishments.”

When attending the event, Buchanan,was allowed to bring a total of five people. Buchanan brought both her parents; Arthur Mazzacca, HHS Athletic Director; and Laura Mazzacca, HHS varsity volleyball coach.

As Buchanan graduates this year, she intends to continue playing volleyball in the fall while attending Steven’s Institute of Technology.