Hawthorne High School’s Junior Volunteer Firemen

Hawthorne High has two outstanding junior volunteer firemen in senior, David Morgan of Fire Company #1 and junior, Craig Geier of Fire Company #4. The two students both selflessly volunteer their time at the Hawthorne Fire Department, taking on any task given to them.

It’s safe to say that being a fireman runs in their blood. Morgan and Geier each come from a family of firemen. In Morgan’s case, his father, grandfather, uncles, and cousins are all firemen. Similarly, Geier’s father, uncle, older brother, and cousins are also firemen. For both students, having so many relatives serve as firemen played a large role in their decision to volunteer as junior firemen.

It’s a job that both Morgan and Geier take seriously. For Morgan who is a Lieutenant for the Junior volunteer force, it has been something he’s wanted to do his whole life. Geier, however, said, “As a career, I want to go into the Marines, but when I’m home, it’s something I’m definitely going to be doing because it’s been in my family, and I find it very interesting.”

Of course, being a fireman is a job that many find dangerous and even scary. However, that’s not the case for Morgan and Geier. When asked if there were tasks that scared him, Geier replied, “There are a few things, but I’m still only a junior so I still have to be more experienced to do the things the older people are doing.” As junior firemen, they are slowing growing into their roles to be able to take on those tougher tasks in the future. These tasks include going inside the attack line, putting out the fires, and search and rescues.

Becoming a full-fledge fireman is on both Morgan and Geier’s agendas. This means both will have to go through extensive training in a state fire school. When asked if there was any special training involved in becoming a junior volunteer, Morgan responded, “Not yet. When you get on the juniors, it’s pretty much a class to get you ready for the fire department.” This means Morgan and Geier are always learning and preparing for their future as firemen by attending educational and practical drills and responding to and helping at 911 fire calls.

From speaking with both students, it’s clear they hold their family ties to the fire department very closely and exemplify the true spirit of a selfless volunteer.

Other junior volunteer firefighters in the school include Chris Di Bella, Chris Naumov,  Kevin Foley, Avian Dorta, Joe and Alex Wojtecki, Brittany Sabatello, Jessica Scheriff, Jenna Speranza, and Brendan Marsch. Other junior firefighters attending other area schools include Ashley Torres and Daniel Dube.