October in the Library Media Center

This October there are many exciting events and displays taking place in the Library Media Center.

To start off the month, a display was created in order to commemorate authors whose birthdays are in October. Some of the authors celebrated included Sylvia Plath, Michael Crichton, Eugene O’Neill, John Keats, James Herriot, Arthur Miller, and Dylan Thomas.

This month the Library Media Center is also promoted Teen Read Week, which takes place nationally every third week of October. HHS launched the celebration the week of October 14 to October 20, and extended it to October 30. This year’s theme was “creepy, spooky, and scary books to haunt the night.” The main goal of the event is to encourage and inspire students to read books and use their library.  In celebration of this event, not only did the Library Media Center have a display, but it hosted a raffle drawing. Each student who checked out a book from the Library Media Center entered his or her name, along with the name of a friend, into the raffle. The winning seven readers and their friends were invited to a Halloween Pizza Party in the Library Media Center.

Theresa DiGeronimo, Library Media Specialist, commented, “Teen Read Week is an exciting way to celebrate reading for fun. The library has a strong collection of teen novels that our students are just starting to enjoy. I hope this event encourages more students to check books out of the library.”

In October, the Library Media also displayed the work of John DiLonardo’s Media Arts class and Joey Caradorri’s Intro to Art class in the Reading Lounge Café. The work presented consisted of two different forms of still life: DiLonardo’s class displayed still life photography while Carradorri’s displayed still life pencil drawings.

The Library Media Center also hosted a Community Night on October 9 with a College Essay Writing Workshop led by Library Media Specialist, Theresa DiGeronimo. The event drew approximately 150 students and parents who crowded the room to learn tips on how to write a college application essay. The program offered guidance in choosing an essay topic, writing a draft, and completing the final copy.

Students are encouraged to check out the Library Media Center this month to participate in all its interesting activities.