Malaysia Airline Flight 370: Vanished

Twelve days.  That is how long it has been since Malaysia Airline Flight 370 vanished.  The lost aircraft took off from Kuala Lumpur, the capital of Malaysia, at exactly 12:41 a.m., on March 8, 2014.  The flight was expected to arrive in Beijing, China, but never did.

Less than an hour after takeoff, the air traffic controllers of Subang, a town outside Kuala Lumpur, lost all contact with Flight 370.  At that time, the flight should have been well on its way to its destination and flying over Pacific Ocean.

According to Malaysian Airlines, both the aircraft and the aircraft control towers had no indication of any issues or problems prior to takeoff.

As for the disappearance of the aircraft, numerous theories have been proposed.  An act of terrorism has been speculated after finding out that two of the passengers had used stolen passports. Another theory is that the flight was possibly hijacked. This theory has been fueled by the fact that the flight transponder, which connects the flight to air traffic control, may have been purposely shut off. Other popular theories include pilot error or suicide, mechanical failure, or even government sabotage.  Since no evidence of the plane has yet been found, these theories have not been proven.

The search to find Flight 370 has quickly expanded to multiple possible crash or landing sites, including areas of the Indian Ocean and small islands throughout, with 11 countries, including the United States, aiding in the search. Due to the massive search effort underway, Maylaysian government officals have now reached out to 26 countries asking for help in the search.

As of today, the flight has not been found and no new leads have surfaced.