Cel-Earth-Bration: “A Greener Path to a Healthy You”

The 22nd Annual Cel-Earth-Bration, presented by the Hawthorne Environmental Commission, was held on Saturday, April 26 at Lincoln Middle School. This year’s theme was “A Greener Path to a Healthy You, ” and the day was once again a huge success.

There were many parts to the diverse event. In the school’s cafeteria, Hawthorne High School’s Ecology Club, led by club advisor, Scott Crimmel, sold homemade granola and passed out information on how to make homes more environmentally friendly. Hawthorne’s Shade Tree Commission was also spreading awareness about the environment by giving out baby evergreen trees to help promote awareness of how important trees are to the environment. The school’s cafeteria also hosted an arts-and-crafts station where kids could color and make key chains. Along with the arts and crafts, food, such as, brownies and sandwiches, were available for purchase, courtesy of Flo’s Market.

In the school’s gymnasium, there were many other activities for families to enjoy. In addition to the face painting and tattoo stations, Rizzo’s Reptile Discovery, run by Dominic Rizzo, displayed its vast collection of reptiles and shared information about each of them.  Attendees of Cel-Earth-Bration were also given free “22nd Annual Cel-Earth-Bration” t-shirts for attending the event.

To top off the day, the 1st Annual Trash Fashion Show was held in the gym. Students from grades K-12 made article(s) of clothing out of recycled materials such as plastic bags, newspapers, and cardboard.  Rachel Bammel, senior at Passaic County Technical Institute, won first place in the “trashion show” with her flowery dress made out of plastic bags and old candy wrappers.

All-in-all, this year’s Cel-Earth-Bration was a success and a fun time for all who attended.