Welcome Keith Williams: HHS Band Director

Keith Williams is one of several new faculty members at Hawthorne High School this year. An alum of the Hartt School (a comprehensive performing arts conservatory of the University of Hartford), Williams brings a younger perspective to his new position as band director.

“My goal for the marching band is to be more active in the Tournament of Bands circuit, to bring the marching band to a more competitive level. My goal for concert band is to introduce students to a wide variety of music while demonstrating their musical knowledge through high-quality public performances.”

Coming to the high school from Lincoln Middle School with our new freshman, Williams believes, has helped him relate to his students. Williams says he has “a better understanding of the challenges a developing musician faces because it was not long ago that I was in the same position.”

Williams strongly believes that music plays an important role in education. From a young age, he has wanted music to be in his life as “more than just a hobby.” He enjoys teaching at the high school level; it is something he has always wanted to do.  “I have enjoyed this year a lot so far working with the marching band and putting together the winter concert.”

We can also expect to see more of our music program around town. “I would like the marching band and music program to have a more active role in the community.”

Although he is only 24 years old, Williams brings a lot of musical experience to the table. “I have been trained to play and teach all of the orchestral and band instruments, but I specialize in low brass, specifically tuba, bagpipes, piano, and handbells. I have founded a brass quintet, led a handbell choir, and am a part of a competitive bagpipe band.”

Williams entered our hallowed halls with big plans to improve our music department. As the year continues, HHS looks forward to seeing his plans unfold.