2014 Girls Soccer Wrapup

Hawthorne High Schools’ varsity girls soccer team had one of the most successful seasons in years. The team finished with a record of 12-4-3, coming in second in the NJIC Colonial league. The girls were able to accomplish amazing feats this season under the guidance of Coach Gus Schell. For the first time in many years, the Lady Bears beat rival school Eastern Christian twice and beat Rutherford on our home field. The team was able to advance to the third round of the Passaic County Tournament.

Throughout the season, the girls focused on the common thought that they controlled their own destiny, and every game was just as important as the last. They knew that in order for the team to be successful every member must trust and get along with every other member on the field. This year the girls team was able to put aside all differences off the field to work together as one unit on the field. Senior captain Taylor Conroy commented on the foundation of the team’s success saying, “We never doubted ourselves. We had high hopes and believed in each other and in our own individual ability.”

“We had a great season and I can’t wait to see what next season will bring,” said junior Morgan Calkins. Junior Morgan Dittfield added, “Every year we’ve been able to improve from the last; it’s crazy that next year is my last season playing.”

With the team losing two senior starters and returning nine underclassmen, HHS can’t wait to see what next season shall bring.