Davius Bunch Looks Back on a Successful Wrestling Career at HHS

Laith Matari, Contributor

HHS Senior, Davius Bunch, weighing in at 285 pounds, had a very successful final wrestling season for the Hawthorne Bears. Bunch became the third person at HHS to win both a Passaic County championship as well as a district championship, joining the elite duo of Ethan and Evan Ramos (HHS Class of 2013).

Like many athletes Bunch has a pre-match ritual that includes pacing back and forth before his match while listening to pump-up music to get himself in the right mindset to compete.  While his nerves and thoughts are building up, he still remains as focused as can be and is constantly strategizing for his match.

Bunch credits his hate for losing, his coaches, and the famous Ethan and Evan Ramos brothers for making him a successful wrestler.  He thanks his coaches for always believing in him and leading him in the right direction with competing techniques. On the subject of the Ramos brothers he credits them with helping him develop his moves, techniques and aiding in his competitive drive and fire. Bunch says, “I aspire to one day be as great as them.”

Throughout Bunch’s high school wrestling years he has had some very special moments, the most memorable, is when Hawthorne was tied in points with Rutherford, and Bunch had the last match of the day. It was clear—if he lost, he would fail his teammates. Bunch was one pin away from being the hero that day, and he did it. He says, “The whole gym was going crazy, and it was such a good feeling.”

For young wrestlers striving to achieve big wins, Bunch gives this advice: “Practice like it is a match every practice, and work hard in the weight room.”