• Charge upgraded against suspect in Charlottesville rally killing

• E.U. Leaders Agree to Begin Next Phase of Brexit Talks

• 'Youthquake' named word of the year by Oxford Dictionaries

Softball Preseason

Barbara Cucci, Staff Writer

Spring is right around the corner, and with the warm weather comes the spring sports seasons. Coaches, student athletes, parents, and fans are all excited for the upcoming seasons. Softball season began on Saturday March 5 with an exciting first tryout. Many of the players have been practicing during the winter in preparation. The girls are more than happy that the season is finally here, but with scrimmages and games right around the corner, nerves are starting to kick in. Junior Kelly Greiner commented on the upcoming season saying, “I’m excited to see what this season will bring to our team on every grade level. We had such a good run last season, I’m really hoping for the best again this year. The nerves have definitely made their way in, but I think I’m ready.”

Coach Peene has definitely made it clear that being in shape before tryouts is a priority all the girls should have. Last year she worked out with the team and at times taught them some yoga poses. When asked about her thoughts on the upcoming season Peene had more than a few words to share, “We had such a good run last year, all the teams did, and I’m really hoping we have the same numbers and commitment we had previously. As for this season, I know the girls have been working hard so I have so much faith in them.” 

A lot of changes are being made this season. Coach Jaclyn Peene, who coached the freshmen team in prior years, is now assisting varsity. Taking her place is Coach Joseph Oliva, a man with years of baseball . During his first meeting with the team he said, “I am learning with you. I am going to do my best and I hope that you guys give me your best too.” Most athletes who have been coached by Oliva have only had positive words to say about him. So without a doubt the new players by the end of this year will only have kind words towards the new coach. Sophomore Jack Fenkart has trained with Coach Oliva and had nothing but good things to say about the new coach, “I’ve always liked him, he’s a very good coach. He works with us well and is open to suggestions. I’m sure everyone will love him in softball, too.” Everyone is excited for the new changes and the softball season all together. 

• Softball Preseason

Baby Project!!

• Softball Preseason

Bright Futures at Hawthorne High School

• Softball Preseason

Feature Stories

There Are Eerie Similarities Between Me and Sayfullo Saipov

• Softball Preseason

Goodbye Mr. Masiak!

• Softball Preseason

A Festivo Festival: 2017 Spanish Festival

• Softball Preseason

New Workshop In the Library

• Softball Preseason

First Year Drum Major

• Softball Preseason

HHS Celebrates Its Diversity with the New Culture Club

• Softball Preseason

Paws-A-Tive Photography Contest

• Softball Preseason

Feature Stories

Halloween, is There an Age Limit?

Softball Preseason