Alumni Spotlight: Nicole Scrofani-Luisi

Michael Jacobsen, Staff Writer

Editors Note: The Clarion is excited to introduce a new column called “Alumni Spotlight” showcasing graduates from Hawthorne High School. Next up, HHS alumni Nicole Scrofani-Luisi from the class of 1990. Nicole Scrofani-Luisi, was a fun and friendly student who was involved in various things including sports and various clubs.

Clarion Interviewer:  What is your life like after high school?

Scrofani-Luisi: I am married with two little boys and I work in marketing. I live nearby in North Haledon, NJ.

Clarion Interviewer: How was your high school experience?

Scrofani-Luisi: It was great. I was very involved in high school from school government to theater and music, to sports and community service. This allowed me to really get to know my classmates and my teachers better and enjoy all of the opportunities that were present.

Clarion Interviewer: What was your favorite high school memory?

Scrofani-Luisi: My favorite high school memory was the school play and working on the yearbook with my sister and friends. We always made the best out of our experiences.

Clarion Interviewer: What college did you go to?

Scrofani-Luisi: I went to Gettysburg College in Gettysburg,PA and studied Sociology and Music Performance. Additionally, I received an MBA in Marketing and Economics from New York University.

Clarion Interviewer:What sport or sports did you play while in high school?

Scrofani-Luisi: I played both softball and volleyball during high school.

Clarion Interviewer: Who was your favorite teacher?

Scrofani-Luisi: Can I pick two? Patti Atikinson-Battista for History and Marie Patella for English!

Clarion Interviewer: What career did you choose after high school?

Scrofani-Luisi: I became a college admissions counselor after college and worked for Muhlenberg College and then New York University. Now, I work in marketing in the consumer product industry.

Clarion Interviewer: Have any of the teachers you had impacted your life in any way?

Scrofani-Luisi: Ms. Atkinson-Battista highly impacted my life. Her passion for teaching and encouraging her students to absorb and learn with vigor rubbed off on me. I also participated in S.H.A.R.E, for which she was the advisor. I have vivid memories of spending time with less fortunate children and have not forgotten the significance of those experiences.

Clarion Interviewer: What extracurricular activities were you involved in?

Scrofani-Luisi: S.H.A.R.E, Softball, Volleyball, Spanish Club, National Honor Society, Class President, Class Secretary, Choir, School Play, Yearbook.

Clarion Interviewer: If you had to do high school all over again, what would you do differently?

Scrofani-Luisi: If I had to do high school all over again, I wouldn’t be as worried about what other people thought. During high school, I had to wear a brace for scoliosis and always worried that people were looking at me funny. But no one really cared. If you can remember this in life and just be yourself, that is a great accomplishment!