Back To The Past…?

Taylor Peters, Staff Writer

Hawthorne High School has been around for many years, so long that some of our parents or grandparents walked in these very halls.

School was certainly not the same in their high school days, but it has similar aspects. 

I was able to interview both my two grandparents: each of them went to Hawthorne High School during the 1950s and 60s.

As I sit and write this article, my grandparents could have been doing the same thing 50 plus years ago. The Clarion did exist…but unlike today’s online newspaper, their newspaper was “old school”: printed on paper and held in hands to read.

There was no soccer team at the time and they had very limited clubs: there was a bible and book club, choir, guard, football and cheerleading. As a soccer player here at HHS, I was surprised to find out that there wasn’t a soccer team during my grandparents tenure at the school.

Unlike today, lunch was three periods, the seniors and juniors sharing a lunch.

Can you believe from that long ago to now the school still has a similar bear logo? Well it’s true, everyone was considered a bear just as we are now. There are probably many teachers as well that remember Hawthorne High School differently.

The dresscode back then consisted of women dressing modest, long skirts and long sleeve shirts. Unlike today there was no drama club, culinary, or Italian and Spanish clubs. Many add ons like rooms and better construction have been added over the years making Hawthorne High School a better place.

After talking to my grandparents I realize now that Hawthorne High School was very different 50 plus years ago, but it still had similar features. 50 years from now I’m sure many things will be different, but old memories will not be forgotten just like today.