HHS Student Opinion: The Phone Caddies

Breanna Curcio
The Phone Caddy

A new rule has been implemented at Hawthorne High School this school year. The Phone Caddies have arrived, and students (along with teachers) have some pretty strong opinions about them.

The phone caddies hang on the wall of each classroom. Upon entering the classroom, students are to place their phones into the caddy, which is fitted with 36 open spots.

Many students have different opinions on whether they like it or not; others question the usefulness of the item.

The Clarion interviewed some students for their opinions. The question asked was simple:  “Do you like the phone caddy and do you think it is useful?”

Junior-Isabella Panagia: “No, I do not like the phone caddy because people need to get in touch with their parents throughout the day. I don’t think the phone caddy is useful because I think in case of an emergency, like a fire, people need to contact their parents. I think a better option is to just put our phones away in our bags and not use them.” 

Junior- Arijana Sulejmani : “ I think it should be optional because if a student really needs their phone they don’t have access to it. What if they have a family emergency and their parents contact them and they can’t get in contact with them? I feel it isn’t going to last long so it won’t be useful. Eventually, students will take back their phones and not put them in the caddy”

Junior- Gianna Rodriguez: “I know why we are using the phone caddies. I think we should be able to use our phones if we aren’t doing anything. In some ways I think the phone caddy is useful. Some kids get very distracted by their IPhones, but at the same time, I think we should use our phones to some extent.”

Senior- Neo Bernabe: “Students need their phones in emergency situations. Their phone shouldn’t be restricted. Yes, some students use their phones all period, if this happens they should be punished. Not the people that dont use it as much. Students that do not want to follow this rule will take back their phone.” 

Breanna Curcio, Editor
Hi! Im Breanna Curcio, and I'm a junior here at Hawthorne High School. This is my second year writing for the Clarion, and my first year being an editor. I'm excited to write for the Clarion. I can't wait to write for the Clarion as a junior this year.