St.Patrick’s Day Fun In Different Parts Of The World!

BrickinNick
St. Patrick’s Day

Imagine it’s March 17, you’re decked out in green, and surrounded by friends at a hectic parade. You’re all enjoying the Irish food being passed around, while having fun trying to figure out some Irish dances. It’s St.Patrick’s Day!

St.Patrick was born in Roman Britain in the late 14th century. He had been kidnapped by the Irish raiders and was brought back as a slave to the Emerald Isle (Ireland’s nickname). He eventually escaped in about 432 CE. Since St.Patrick was very familiar with the Irish language and culture, he was able to convert the Irish to Christianity. Before he passed away on March 17, 461, he was able to establish monasteries, churchs, and schools. Yes some St.Patrick’s stories can be improbable, but there is no contradicting his impact!

St.Patrick’s Day was officially accepted by the church in 1631 which started out with a feast to honor him on the day of his death. Although this started off as a religious holiday, it quickly evolved over the years. Instead of spending a downhearted day at mass, St. Patrick’s Day for many is now about shamrocks, leprechauns, and wearing the color green, whether you’re Irish or not.

St.Patrick’s Day is celebrated differently in cities and countries, but in Ireland, it’s celebrated with a huge festival! This festival lasts five days attracting more than 500,000 people yearly. The parade features a fair with carousels, roller coasters, lots of other attractions, and an outdoor dance party called the Céilí Mór (social visit). While all this is happening, Blarney Castle, St. Patrick’s Cathedral, and the Bank of Ireland (famous Irish buildings) are lit up in green!

In the United States, there are some crazy traditions for the holiday. In Chicago, Illinois, every year on March 16 at 10am, the Chicago River is dyed green! In other cities in the United States, cities host parades that draw thousands of people’s attention that are celebrated with Irish music, dance, and and food.

In Australia, St.Patricks day is celebrated over the course of 10 days! In Brisbane you can expect a parade, Irish dancing, dinners, and boxing matches. In the Northern Territory of Australia, there is a family sports day during the celebration which consists of egg and spoon, wheelbarrow, and three-legged races.

St.Patricks isn’t just celebrated in Ireland, the United States, and Australia. It is celebrated in many different countries such as: New Zealand, Japan, Argentina, and many more. While over 20% of New Zealanders have Irish ancestry, major cities host massive parades and attendees dress in green, dancing to Irish flute music. In Tokyo, Japan, a huge Irish celebration takes place that attracts over 50,000 people. This festival includes a parade and many musical performances. In Argentina, over 500,000 people come together into the city of Buenos Aires and listen to live music and enjoy an open-air festival.

About the Contributor
Lauren Iannacone, Staff Writer
Hi! I'm Lauren, a staff writer and freshman here at Hawthorne High School. I hope to contribute many articles to the Clarion, as a first time writer for the school newspaper. I play softball and soccer and enjoy spending time with my friends and listening to music. I hope my articles spark your interest!