Can I Have a Cheeseburger with No Cheese?

Anyone who works in a fast food restaurant can see pretty quickly that the work is not as easy as it seems. Between the fast-paced orders, the customers who can’t make up their minds, and the bickering between the employees every once in a while, it’s enough to drive you crazy. But what customers don’t see is how much fun the employees also have.

I work at Wendy’s in Midland Park, mostly in the drive thru. The employees at Wendy’s are like a big happy family. I love the moment when someone walks through the door and everyone says hello and everyone is happy to see each other. Everyone goes into work knowing exactly what he or she has to do and no one ever refuses to do something when asked. Everyone helps each other out. I think the amount of teamwork that is seen in Wendy’s should be enough to get an award.

One of the most important qualities you need to have to work at a fast food place would be patience. You can’t blow up on customers when they change their minds about the Junior Cheese Deluxe and want a grilled chicken sandwich instead. People change their minds all the time, and it’s my job to get them exactly what they want without complaining about it. Once in a while, it gets to the point where I can get a little impatient, but only if my boss says I can.

The aspect I love most about working at Wendy’s is the interesting people that come through the drive thru. I’ve had people sing me their order, people who say their order is to go (what’s the other option?), and then there are just some really nice people. Once in a while I get customers who are rude no matter what but I just do my job and get them out of there as soon as possible. And then I get obnoxious customers who order seven of the number 1 combos in the large size, but it’s not a big deal.

So although Wendy’s doesn’t seem like the best job in the world, at age 17 it’s perfect for me. So far it’s taught me how to deal with people and how to do tasks quickly and correctly which are very important skills to have in life. When it’s slow and we’ve made sure everything that needs to be done is done, we usually just relax and talk and have a few laughs. There have been a couple ice fights and employees scaring each other, but it’s all fun. And hey, free food isn’t that bad either.