Here Comes the Boom: 4 ½ Stars

The lights dim in this movie’s  first fight scene as washed-up, former collegiate wrestler, Scott Voss enters the fighting ring to the song “Click Click Boom” (performed by the band Saliva) with his heart set on saving the high school music program. Kevin James, previously overweight actor, hit the weight room to play the part of this incoming MMA fighter in the new movie Here Comes the Boom (2012) directed by Frank Coraci.

“When the comedy connects, it can deliver with funny force,” wrote USA Today about the Kevin James comedy. While some reviews, such as those on RottenTomatoes.com, disagree saying that the movie “lacked a sense of humor” and “doesn’t pack a lot of power,” the movie seemed to bring a sense of entertainment. Coraci made a great choice to choose James as the main character due to his reputation for offering brainless laughs and humor. James kept the train rolling throughout, which resulted in eyes being glued to the screen and bodies on the edge of the seat during every single fight.

The fact that James put so much effort into being the character of Scott Voss by lifting weights and losing a few pounds truly attracted people to the movie theater. The simple idea of a middle-aged man still in shape after being a washed-up collegiate wrestler subliminally added entertainment to this movie.  Although James plays the same kind of character in every movie (the middle-aged, humorous, partly oblivious big man), his new physique adds amusement and comedy as he enters every fight and attempts to not vomit on each opponent as he stands over them victorious.

In the end,  Here Comes the Boom  has a well-rounded storyline with a heartwarming purpose and a wonderful cast of actors such as Salma Hayek, Henry Winkler, Greg Germann, and, of course, Kevin James. Although the humor seemed lacking every once in a while and left people confused, the whole story kept people anticipating what was going to happen next.