The Crucible: A Hawthorne High School Production

The Crucible

The Crucible

Alexander Nadirashvili, Staff Writer

Arthur Miller first wrote The Crucible in 1953 as McCarthyism spread through the United States, while countless beings were accused of communism and condemned. Paralleling the goings on of the country to what happened in the Massachusetts Bay Colony back in 1692, Miller wrote this popular play about the Salem Witch Trials.

The Crucible is a cautionary tale about what can happen when chaos and greed seize the people of a town. The main characters are John Proctor and Abigail Williams, who have an affair despite John’s marriage to Elizabeth Proctor. Lustful for John, Abigail would then recruit fellow young girls of the town to cast a spell in order to bring death upon Elizabeth.

It is only after Abigail’s uncle, Reverend Parris, discovers the girls that a panic of witchcraft spreads through the town of Salem. Accusations begin to be thrown around and those who refuse to admit they are witches are executed while others sacrifice and taint their reputations forever. However, beneath the obvious fear of witches is an underlying motivation of greed and wealth which can be achieved as specific enemies and acquaintances are condemned.

Wanting to know more about our Theater Department’s motivation for choosing the play, The Clarion sat down with Ms. Griffin and asked her to share her motivations.

Clarion Reporter: What inspired you to pick The Crucible as the 2017 Fall production?

Ms. Griffin: The play is a classic, very entertaining, and extremely relevant today.

Clarion Reporter: What do you hope the audience will take away from the production after seeing it?

Ms. Griffin: I hope they remember to think for themselves instead of following what everyone around them is saying. I hope they learn to not hate on other people and take out personal issues on them.

Clarion reporter: What aspect of the play are you most excited about?

Ms. Griffin: Definitely getting the actors to the emotional center of the play. It is very dramatic and powerful and once we get everyone to that level, I know it’s going to be an incredible ride.

Clarion Reporter: Do you have a favorite character in the play? Why are they your favorite?

Ms. Griffin: I don’t know if I can pick a favorite. This is one of those shows where everyone who watches it will have a connection. Every character is very human and they make mistakes and I hope the audience will see themselves in the characters.

Clarion Reporter: If you could describe the play in five words, what would they be?

Ms. Griffin: Thought-provoking, intense, frightening, relevant, and fun.

The Clarion would like to thank Ms. Griffin for her time and hope she knows we are all eagerly awaiting the inevitably amazing production which will be The Crucible.

Whether you are looking for an in-depth political statement or a story originating from a dramatized affair, catching Hawthorne High School’s production of The Crucible is a great way to support everyone involved!