Changes In HHS Art Classes

Hannah Olah, Staff Writer

HHS art students are seeing some major class changes as a result of the pandemic.  As a pre-pandemic ceramics student and a current intro to art student, I can confirm that the pandemic has resulted in some unique changes to art class.  However, students are still able to have fun and learn in the classroom and at home.  The most obvious change to art class is the classroom layout.  The groups of tables that once allowed students to socialize while creating have been separated and are now limited to two students per table.  In order to reduce contact through the sharing of materials, students have also received their own personal art kit that travels to and from school with them.  The art kits include a pencil, ruler, sharpie, eraser, blender, and drawing paper.

Remote days have been used to learn new art techniques.  Art teachers typically post a video lesson to the google classroom, which students are expected to watch before their in person class.  These videos prepare the students for what is to come in class, allowing students to spend their in person class time applying what they have learned online to their projects.  As a result of hybrid learning, students only see their teachers in person once a week, which does slow down the pace of art class.  Projects are typically not brought home by art students, as they could be messy or risk being damaged in the travel process.  However, assigning video lessons for at home days and using in class days to work on projects seems to be a highly effective system. 

The way art teachers have adapted to remote learning is very impressive.  I still find the curriculum to be engaging, informative, and fun despite having little in person class time.  Art class continues to be an outlet for students to relax and be creative.  Video lessons seem to be just as effective as in person lessons, which allows students to optimize their in person class time by working on their projects.  There may be changes in the classroom layout and curriculum, but art class is still something that students can look forward to every week!