• New York college student dies after falling from clock tower weeks before graduating.

• Strong storms, including at least one tornado, have swept through parts of the Midwest and the Mid-Atlantic region.

• Lori Loughlin pleads not guilty in her first response to the college admissions scam.

Reducing Waste in the Kitchen

Reducing Waste in the Kitchen

Samira Cortes, Staff Writer

The Earth isn’t heading in a good direction.

The amount of waste we create is insane. We can recycle plastic, cardboard, and paper, yet most choose not to because it costs money and energy. There are many ways in which landfills contribute to pollution. We are not only harming our environment and the animals, but also ourselves. We need to change our habits. It isn’t easy, but the least we can do is try.

Take it one step at a time in order to build new and more sustainable habits. Let’s talk about reducing waste in our kitchens. Instead of using plastic bags offered in grocery stores, buy reusable produce bags. There are many different websites you can buy them from, but often grocery stores sell them as well.

Try not to buy packed food. I know it sounds daunting since everything is pretty much always packaged, but try. Do you really need to buy potato chips? If you do, try to not buy them as often. Reduce what you buy that is packaged. Buy items in bulk, bring your own jars and fill them with pasta, rice, oats etc. Bulk stores are hard to find, but if you do have a local one, give it a try.

You can also switch from using paper rolls to cloth. Instead of drying dishes or your hands with paper towels, use reusable towels. It will also save you money to use this option. You can also avoid plastic utensils and purchase wooden or metal ones instead.

Finally, you can give composting a chance. There are many different ways to do it. If you don’t have the time, there are drop off stations or people who offer to take your food waste and compost it.

It’s all about trying.There are many websites that offer people all over the world the option to become more sustainable and provide more waste reducing habits.

Samira Cortes, Staff Writer

My name is Samira Cortes. This is my first year writing for The Clarion. My favorite hobbies are art and music. Like many people I'm not the best at writing....

• Reducing Waste in the Kitchen

Spirit Week Day 4: Throwback Thursday

• Reducing Waste in the Kitchen

Spirit Week Day 3: Workout Wednesday

• Reducing Waste in the Kitchen

Shark Tank 2019

• Reducing Waste in the Kitchen

Spirit Week Day 2: Tropical Tuesday

• Reducing Waste in the Kitchen

Spirit Week Day 1: Twin Takeover

• Reducing Waste in the Kitchen

Generous Donation Given to Hawthorne High School

• Reducing Waste in the Kitchen

HHS Pool Renovations Coming Soon

• Reducing Waste in the Kitchen

Nick Manzi: Mr. Congeniality 2019

• Reducing Waste in the Kitchen

Mr. Hawthorne 2019 Recap

• Reducing Waste in the Kitchen

Luke Kowalski: Mr. Hawthorne 2019

Reducing Waste in the Kitchen